Stitches out, fighting with the roommate; it’s a normal day!

February21

Seroma, day 10 (not too big)

Today is day 10 for Dakota and we celebrated by getting his stitches removed. I wanted to wait a couple of days more, but Dakota had been going to town trying to scratch the awful itch they created, and I wanted to have that abdominal bruising looked at. Turns out day 10 is perfectly fine for suture removal and everything had closed up nicely.

Dakota does have a smallish seroma, which I suspected, but it isn’t large enough to require any treatment. After the stitches were out, there was some fluid oozing in one reddened area so I think it may find its own drain. Sounds nasty, doesn’t it? A couple of days ago Dakota did begin licking the incision and irritated a spot, and this is where the oozing is coming form.

The bruising is ok, although of course no one will commit to saying it’s actually from the surgery. There have been all kinds of caveats issued: It could be a platelet disorder that only last week manifested; it could be internal bleeding from who knows what that just popped up…I don’t think so.

After we got back home, Dakota’s bulldog Evelyn (the worst roommate in the world, remember) tried to snag a bone from his mouth. Evelyn had been left home with at least 5 bones while we were gone, but once we got home the only one she couldn’t live without was the one Dakota picked up. They really went at it for a moment, and I had to intervene. All I could envision was Dakota’s shoulder tearing open and everything falling apart. It was really rather frightening. In retrospect, Dakota now cares if Evelyn wants to steal from him. Several days ago he would probably not have lifted his head to protest.

So the mending continues and I’m hopeful that Dakota will regain more strength every day. He is doing much better outside, avoiding obstacles and not falling down. The worst navigation challenges come from his persistent running into people, especially me. He often doesn’t seem to know what to do with his body and just rams right into my legs. I think he wants me to move out of his way, but I just can’t always do that. He also needs to learn to moderate his speed. I understand why faster is easier for him, but boy is it fast! I’m very sure he can slow down a bit and still keep up good momentum.

Now the challenge will be to keep Dakota quiet for another week so the seroma can resolve. Oh yeah, and he absolutely can’t keep licking at the incision, either. I guess he’s still going to be modeling some tasteful duds for the next week or so.

by posted under recovery, Uncategorized | 8 Comments »

“Stitches out, fighting with the roommate; it’s a normal day!”

1. February 21st, 2011 at 4:46 pm      Reply daisy2010 Says:

Yeah for Dakota! Sounds like he is doing great!

Oh and Samson sends a special invitation to Miss Evelyn to join the Monkeydogs. Every tripawds annoying companion is eligible….

2. February 21st, 2011 at 7:55 pm      Reply admin Says:

Glad to hear Dakota is getting along so well! Thanks for the update.

3. February 21st, 2011 at 9:18 pm      Reply rudyroo Says:

Yeah Dakota should feel more comfortable with those stitches out!

Sounds like Dakota and Evelyn (including you too!) had an exciting day!

Good to hear that Dakota is adjusting. Dakota will figure out how to get around and maneuver in no time. Rudy would do a huge jump to go up one step from the garage to the house and would slide. Now after a few weeks he figured it out, he does a smaller hop now.

Dakota will be running around with Evelyn in no time:)

4. February 21st, 2011 at 10:04 pm      Reply melanie Says:

I’m very happy your pup is doing so well…

5. February 21st, 2011 at 11:44 pm      Reply luckypup Says:

So glad Dakota’s starting to act like normal again!
    Do you have a picture of the seroma? Lucky has had what I think is a seroma since his surgery. It started off really gross, but now it’s getting a lot better very rapidly. That’s funny that nobody’s saying it was from the surgery…
    I hope Dakota enjoys his cool collar for the next week!

6. February 22nd, 2011 at 9:49 am      Reply shari Says:

Hey Lucky! How’re ya doin’? So glad you are up on Jeff’s computer this morning!

I did insert a photo at the top of the page so you can see what Dakota’s small seroma looks like. Also, if you go to Day 6, there is a photo there of Dakota and his awful roommate, and Dakota is wearing his shirt that I modified for him. No cone of shame for D-dawg! I cut the sleeves off of a ratty shirt and sewed up the hole for the missing leg so can’t lick and won’t get too cold. He has 3 shirts that he rotates, depending on his mood and who he’s trying to impress.

I hope you keep getting better and better, Lucky!

Shari

7. February 22nd, 2011 at 9:55 am      Reply shari Says:

Hey Daisy,

Evelyn wants to know what she needs to do to become a monkeybuttheaddog. She also wants you to know she can’t be brave because she’s a chicken. And she won’t say this because she’s not smart enough to say it, but she isn’t very smart.

Shari

8. February 23rd, 2011 at 5:17 pm      Reply samson007 Says:

Evelyn doesnt need to to anything…if she annoys Dakota in anyway she already is one. Hey mom??? Why no pictures of Evelyn? Huh? Are you playing favories? She can get her own sign on like me and help us harass the tripawds like in the forum

Seriously -Monkeydogs are all in good fun and their antics are meant to lighten the mood. We ALL need a little laugh now and then.

February 2011